BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hyper-Active Christianity

Have you ever seen, or been around, a hyper-active child?  Sure you have....and it is exhausting to try to settle them down or keep their focus for 5 minutes.  Well, I'm seeing many of God's children acting the same way. 

A parent often has this to say to a hyper-active child:  "Listen to me!  Sit still!  Be quiet--I'm talking to you!  Pay attention!"  But isn't that what our Father is often saying to us?

Psalm 46:10 - BE STILL and get to KNOW ME!  [paraphrased]  Bottom Line:  Know God; Top Priority:  Be still!  You can't get to know God until you quiet yourself down by turning off the TV, unpluging your earphones, resting your thumbs (from texting), and running all over the place!

I remember a family event many years ago--the house was full of people; everybody seemed to be talking all at once, but no one was listening.  An argument arose--voices got louder--tension filled the air.  So I went outside to get some fresh air.

I stepped into another world.  The ground was blanketed with fresh snow.  There was a woods just beyond my backyard--it looked so inviting--so I soon found myself walking down one of the trails.  All I could hear was a soft wind.  It was nighttime, but the full moon glistening on the white snow provided a soft light.  It was peaceful--I was calming down--and then I felt "His Presence."
It was as though He said to me:  "Be still, My child....know that I am here.....you are not alone.  I have drawn you away from the noise and the chaos to be with Me.

We walked together for a while--and I felt better.  I felt so good that I went back home and made a snowman in the backyard.  I started singing and laughing--even talking to Mr. Snowman!  I was being silly; I felt like a kid again!  He had "restored my soul" by a simple, quiet walk with Him!

Try it!  Try being still....getting away from all the noise and distractions....get to KNOW Him!  Talk to Him...walk with Him a while.  Then you'll be able to say: "Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul."   [Psalm 131:2

0 comments: