BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Faith of a Soldier

A Centuion soldier comes to Jesus--asking that he heal his sick servant.  The soldier had a good reputation in the city of Capernaum, as the people back him up by saying this: "He loves our nation and has built us a synagogue."  He was not only a good soldier, but also a good citizen--and, a believer!

Then the soldier tells Jesus that he's "not worthy that You should enter under my roof...for I am a man placed UNDER AUTHORITY, having soldiers under me.  And I say to one, 'Go," and he goes, and to another, 'Come,' and he comes...'Do this,' and he does it.'"  In other words, this high-ranking soldier knows not only how to GIVE orders, but how to FOLLOW orders!  Then the soldier says to Jesus, "Say the WORD, and my servant will be healed!"

Jesus marveled at him, turned around, and said this to the crowd:  "I have not found such GREAT FAITH!"  I would have thought that Jesus would've been more impressed with his OBEDIENCE to The Word rather than his FAITH!  But I was wrong

INSTANT obedience is FAITH in ACTION!   The soldier:  (1)  Understood authority; (2)  sat under authority; (3)  knew how to obey orders; (4) and believed in his Commander and Chief (Jesus Christ)!   In James 2:17 -18 says,  "faith by itself, if it does not have works is dead...I will show you my faith by my works."

Is your faith alive and active?  Do you instantly obey what Jesus has to (personally) say to you?  Are you a "doer of the Word...or a hearer only?"  [James 1:22]

0 comments: