BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

SURROUND SOUND

Our grandson is playing on his very 1st basketballteam consisting of 2nd and 3rd graders.  They had a double-header last night.  The gym was packed with cheering parents, screaming coaches, and energetic players.

As I sat back and began to listen to the crowd in the stands, I was reminded of "the great cloud of witnesses" that are spoken about in Hebrews 12:1.  This great crowd was composed of the people described in chapter 11.  Their faithfulness was a constant encouragement to God's people.  It is a reminder that we do not struggle alone.  The fans and families at the basketball game were there, in the stands, to also encourage and support their kids who were in the game.

I'd coached basketball for 18 years; I was a player before that (and even played fed. ball).  But now I'm a 70+ grandmother--too old to play.  Yet I found it hard to "watch" my grandson play(getting bumped and knocked down--not having the ball passed to him throughout the entire game--yet trying so hard to help his team).  I knew how to "play the game"--I knew how to "coach a game," but all I could do was CHEER him on and ENCOURAGE him from the bleachers.

It upset me that one coach and his team were "talking trash" before the game and were being taught to get away with whatever they could in the game.  When I coached it was instilled and drilled into my players to be fair and to demonstrate godly character.   I tried to set that kind of an example as a player, too.

Kids need to have "role models"...."heros" to follow after.  There's  the "HALL of FAME" for sports heros (which requires physical/athletic skill)....but there is also the "HEROS of the FAITH" (listed in Hebrews Chapter 11, which requires spiritual character).  I ask you, which would you rather belong to?

0 comments: