BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Stumbling Blocks Can Become Stepping Stones

People can often place a stumbling block in our way and cause us to stumble, tumble, or trip.  A stumbling block can cause a serious offense or wound that weakens or ruins a relationship with them and/or with Christ.  Peer pressure can sometimes be the stumbling block that causes injury.   Friends can entice us into places and to do things with people that are not good for us.  Even friends or family members can cause us to stumble.

I remember one summer when our family went to Cedar Point.  I get very dizzy on spinning rides, but a couple of my family members kept coaxing and daring me to ride a certain spinning ride.  Finally I gave in and rode it!  Ugh!  I got very sick and  dizzy; and I stumbled around for hours after that ride.  I should have known better....I shouldn't have listened to them.  That ride really messed me up and affected me in a very bad way.  I learned the hard way to STAY AWAY from that kind of activity!

You can throw me in a haystack of tobacco, or plop me in a bathtub full of boos--and it won't affect me (or tempt me) at all.  However, if you ask me to accompany you into a bakery--I quickly weaken and partake of those sweet treats.  "Trick or Treat"--I am deceived into thinking it is a "treat" when in reality it is a "trick" to cause me to overeat!   Be discerning--don't ask others to do things that would cause them to stumble.   It may be all right for you to do it, but it may be harmful for them.

But how can a stumbling block become a stepping stone?  I truly believe our weaknesses can become our strengths and that: our mess can become our ministry--
our pain can become our profession. 

Those who "overcome" (step over) their addictions....those who "overcome" their failures in certain areas are able to help others over theirs.  A divorced woman can help another woman through a divorce; a recovered alcoholic can help a drinker overcome drinking, and so on.....BY THE HELP OF THE LORD! 

God can even (and will) use our mistakes for His good, if we learn our lesson and accept His chastening (correction)!  [Romans 8:28-30]   In other words, my stumbling blocks teach me to step up and use what I have learned (gone through) to help others overcome their stumbling blocks.

What others "meant for evil against me," or what satan tried to do through others, "God meant it for good...to save many people!"  [Genesis 50:20] 

Thank you, Lord, for turning my "stumbling blocks" into "stepping stones!"

0 comments: