BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

HOSPITABLE HEARTS

These days most folks are leery of strangers (and for good reasons).  You just can't trust many people anymore.  Years ago (during hard times) folks used to feed hobos and homeless people at their kitchen tables and back porches of their homes.  Nowadays we're reluctant to do so--or, we're too busy to "entertain strangers," friends, or even family members!

I'm not known for being a fancy hostess.  I'm more the "plain Jane" type.  I'd rather serve you a simple meal--buffet style--rather than set a table with fine china and crystal.  I'm more interested in creating a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere than I am about how everything looks, or is decorated.  I'm more like Mary than her sister Martha.  I prefer good conversation and only a few guests.  Big, noisy parties are not my style.  Martha was more interested in the menu whereas Mary was more interested in her guest.

Jesus said, "Where 2 or 3 are gathered together in My Name--there I am in the midst of them."  [Matthew 18:20 - paraphrased]  Intimacy--getting to know someone on a more personal level (rather than mere surface chatter) is what's meaningful to me.

We're wise to be careful as to how we build a relationship.  First we meet a stranger.  If we start to see them more often, they become an acquaintance.  The next step would be a casual friendship.  If I desire to see them more frequently and get to know them better, I generally set up specific times and places to meet.  But if I want them to become a close friend, I usually invite them over to my house.  Lastly, if I desire an intimate friendship with them--I invite them into my HEART!

Is Jesus a stranger, an acquaintance, a casual or close friend?  Or, is He an intimate friend?  How welcomed is He in your home...and in your heart?

0 comments: