BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, August 25, 2012

What Are Friends For?

I could write a book on FRIENDSHIP....and maybe I will some day.  But for today, let me share about one nearly "perfect day" with a friend of mine:

Yesterday afternoon, I met my best friend to play a round of golf.  The course was almost deserted, so we pretty much had the course all to ourselves.  It was a beautiful day--no high humidity, clear skies, and a comfortable temperature.

We talked...we laughed at our silly golf swings...we praised one another when we made a good drive or a tricky putt.  We encouraged each other with words of affirmation.  Often we'd say to each other, "Good shot!  I knew you could do it.  Way to go!"  And my favorite phrase that I love to hear her say to me (when I'd hit an exceptionally good shot) was, "that's the Ruthy I know!"  (We've known each other for nearly 40 years.)

Yes, she KNOWS me pretty well!  She knows when I'm not at my best and she knows when I am.  She doesn't "put me down" when I mess up.  She's by my side when I do well and doesn't leave my side when I don't.  (And I'm not just talking about when we play golf!)

We simply enjoy being with one another.  We can be ourselves.  We relax and are so comfortable in one another's presence.  We don't have to perform or entertain one another.  We just enjoy one another's company--no matter what we're doing or where we're at.

We've always encouraged one another to grow and be the best we can be.  We believe in one another and never put demands on one another.  We've always accepted each other.

We've gone through a lot of trials and difficult times over the years, but she's always been there for me--and I for her.  Our friendship has stood "the test of time."

Yes, yesterday we shared such a good time together on the golf course.  All our cares evaporated and were forgotten for a few hours.  It was a beautiful time!  We felt so refreshed. 

How much more beautiful, relaxing, and refreshing would it be if we spent a few hours each day with the Lord--fellowshipping with Him?  We can experience a little bit of "heaven on earth" if we walk with Him and talk with Him.  (And I felt He walked with my friend and I on that golf course yesterday.)



0 comments: