BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Teeter-Totter Training

Let me paraphrase I Corinthians 13:11 - "When I was a child, I spoke like a child...I understood as a child...I thought as a child...and I acted as a child.  But, when I grew up, I PUT AWAY childish things."

When I was a kid, we used to play on teeter-totters.  (Kids today don't know what I'm talking about!)  It was fun to keep the other kid dangling and hanging up high--unable to get down.  We also loved to drop 'em down hard--letting them crash to the ground.  But, being able to keep perfectly balanced with the other kid was a real challenge.

The grown-up (Christian) version of that game differs a great deal from the child's version. When you mature in your faith:  You will speak words that will lift up people--not put them down.  You will understand how to play by Jesus' rules.  You'll think good things about others.  You'll act kindly and be gentle--showing mercy and grace.  Also, you will put away criticisms and condemnation.  Lastly, you'll play fair and try to lead a balanced life.

So when I feel or hear myself starting to get NEGATIVE and getting down on myself or putting others down--I can spring back up and lift them up with a POSITIVE word of affirmation.

Life has its UP's and DOWN's...just be aware and play fair!  And, remember, Christ lifts up the humble, but puts down the proud.

0 comments: