BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Who Is My Neighbor?

My neighbor is the family who lives next door or across the street.  It's the guy who works beside you, or your boss.  It's the kids in the car pool.  It could be the traffic cop or the man who has road rage and rushes by you (gesturing with his finger).  IT COULD BE YOUR WORST ENEMY!  Ugh...anything but that!

The Jews hated the Gentiles and the Samaritans.  At best--they tolerated them.  The same prejudices are prevelant yet today.  Anyone who doesn't think or believe like we do, we tend to side-step, ignore, pass by, or put down.

I don't mind helping a friend, or someone I like...but an enemy--that's hard!

Often our enemies are in our own household:  A rebellious child, a nagging wife, an abusive husband, or an interfering mother-in-law.  Neighbor or next-of-kin, Christ tells us how to treat them.  Here are four things that He requires of us:  (1)  Love your enemies; (2) Bless those who curse you; (3) Do good to those that hate you; (4) Pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.  [ Matthew 5:43-44

I'm fairly good at 3 out of the 4....but do I have to love them, too?  I don't have to accept or love their behavior (thank heavens)...but somehow I have to see them through Christ's eyes.  I need intense spiritual eye surgery to see better!  Maybe if I "see" what Christ sees in them, I will be able to learn to love them. 

Often I begin a prayer with these words:  "Lord, You want me to do WHAT????"  Yes...I heard Him right...I gotta learn to love my enemies, too!!!
  

 





0 comments: